What should be done to address reproductive healthcare gaps in Vietnam?
Mom&Me Care initiates solutions to improve healthy lives and promote well-being for infants and women:
- A digital platform with reproductive healthcare knowledge in local language, updated from reliable resources, verified by medical experts and accessible to 94.5% Vietnamese who are literate.
- Inclusive and demand-driven premium packages to one-third of Vietnamese households with higher income to support and follow their reproductive journey more affordably.
- Free services to address basic and critical needs of vulnerable pregnant women and infants by 30% of the profit.
CARING FOR THE NEXT GENERATION? JOIN US!
For crowdfunding and crowdsourcing, we conducted three campaigns such as: online call for public contribution, viral clip with hashtag #miracle_experience via Mom&Me Care’s Fan page and direct approach to key partners. As our target population during this phase is Vietnamese, we only conduct the contribution call in local language.
+ USD 6,450 for social target to cover the first year of social contribution activities, equivalent to 180 prenatal check-ups (USD 7 per one check-up), 240 infant check-ups (USD 10 per one check-up) and 240 training slots for prenatal education (USD 12 per one slot).
+ USD 76,323 for operational purpose to cover cost of the first year.
Duration: 05 May to 30 May, 2019
+ USD 16,579, equivalent to 257% of the target
+ USD 111,844 equivalent to 147% of the target
Please refer to the following files for our campaign and result summary.
I. VALUE PROPOSITIONS
Our mission is to create access for women and their families to standard & reliable health care knowledge, practices and services, we not only offering customers insights to do well in their parenthood but also follow and support every event during their reproductive age. We strongly believe this would help to improve healthy lives and promote well-being for newborns, infants, young women and their families.
As a mission-related social enterprise, Mom&Me Care’s groups of market target and social target share a few similar features. They are in the same age and gender segment – women in reproductive age (15-49 years old) and infants under 1 year old – having the same needs but different in economical status.
To effectively address the gaps and create new social standards for reproductive health knowledge, Mom&Me Care specifies our values:
1.1. Towards Market Target Group
Offer customers miracle experience during their pregnancy and postpartum period.
1.2. Towards Social Target Group
Set new social standards in basic and critical reproductive and infant healthcare, practices and services
II. KEY PARTNERS
Mom&Me Care founders decide our growth modalities on partnership strategy to develop and strengthen our resources to keep our project roll on and scale up gradually. Therefore, we connect with stakeholders in different sectors in order to integrate and build up a comprehensive social venture:
- Obstetricians, pediatricians and health specialists: provide knowledge and guidance on health care for pregnant women and women at reproductive age.
- Maternal healthcare service providers: provide health check-ups, consultancy and health care services for pregnant women.
- Pediatric healthcare service providers: provide health check-ups, consultancy and health care services for infants.
- Spas or body care service providers: provide massage and aromatic therapy services for pregnant women.
- Midwives and nurses: provide newborn care part-time service.
- Educators: provide early education coaching and counseling.
- App builders: create and operate Mom&Me Care application.
- Volunteers, social support facilitators, open houses representatives: connect and refer Mom&Me Care services to women with low-income & in vulnerable groups.
- Mom advocators: join Mom&Me Care club to share and update mom & baby health care knowledge & skills.
- Other stakeholders: offer venues for training and consultation classes, translate maternal healthcare and pediatric healthcare knowledges to Vietnamese.
III. KEY ACTIVITIES
Mom&Me Care has been designed to meet the needs of customers of all different economical status and even satisfy unmet needs. We address the gaps and create new social standard for reproductive health knowledge via 3 main activities:
3.1. Knowledge for community
- Mom&Me Care developed an integrated all-in-one digital platform addressing the health knowledge gaps for all targeted population as 94.5% of Vietnamese are literate.
- We provide free access for customers to regularly update knowledge, practices and guidance, including reproductive healthcare, prenatal and postpartum psychological care, infant healthcare and early childhood education.
- We take into account the quality of the published knowledge and relating outcomes as we understand thoroughly that health is a basic and vital factor for development. That is why all information and knowledge we provide in this digital platform are sourced from WHO, CDC; translated into local language by professional translators and interpreters; verified by key partnered professionals and specialists, demonstrated by trained health care staff and regularly assessed for better update and innovation.
- The activity is differentiated by designing a friendly application, well-shaped to digital habits of millennial generation. Besides, the platform is highly accessible as smartphone user ratio in Vietnam is 40.4%; internet and wifi are widely available throughout the country.
3.2. Inclusive services
- We strongly believe that mental health also plays an important role for moms during their pregnancy: the more positive and happier moms are, the healthier there kids will be, Mom&Me Care yields this universal and powerful insight through our mission to act as an enabler and supporter for moms to be happier by setting them free from physical healthcare activities and evokes inspirational motherhood experience.
- Mom&Me Care provides three inclusive premium packages tailored to the needs of couples, families and one-third of the population with affluent and established income (mainly in big cities of Vietnam). The most basic package is SMILE that provides 4 main services: prenatal checkups, psychological counseling, prenatal education, newborn care. Analyzed from customers’ demand, we also design HAPPY package that adds dental care and breastfeeding consultation and care service. The fullest package is AMAZING, with Spa and Wellness service, turns pregnancy challenges into miracle experience.
- These services packages are unique as they provide inclusive care and support along customer’s life journey during reproductive age, ever since they are conceived until being moms.
- Thanks to Mom&Me Care’s partnerships, our customers also achieve smart spending by saving 20% of their cost on our packages, compared with the total cost they may have to pay for all separate services of different vendors.
3.3. Social contribution
- Mom&Me Care is committed to reinvest 30% of its profits on supporting services for low-income and vulnerable group of population.
- We offer these customers, who is not accessible to the digital platform, healthcare knowledge and practical guidance through basic training in classrooms, seminars and group sharing.
- In addition, pregnant women will be ensured to receive prenatal screening tests and at least 4 check-ups (1st: 8-12 weeks, 2nd: 24-26 weeks, 3rd: 32 weeks, 4th: 36-38 weeks) during their pregnancy according to UNICEF’s recommendation.
- Infants in this target group of customers will be guaranteed full and timely vaccinations as recommended by the national Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI).
To ensure the best outcomes quality, Mom&Me Care totally engage in a process of continuous innovation, adaptation and learning. We observe closely the maternal and infant health situation in Vietnam through periodical reports and researches by governmental authorities and international organisations. Based on these findings, we could recognize and identify changing needs of targeted customers in order to update our knowledge, provide refresh training for staff, apply innovations, redesign services package and create new channels for service delivery.
In the next stages, the project would expand services to teenagers, elder people, young children, children and adolescents. Our ultimate service package would be providing healthcare from birth to old ages, a whole life-cycle of a customer.
IV. KEY RESOURCES
In order to capture the opportunities, Mom&Me Care team has prepared and developed necessary knowledge, skills and abilities via potential sources:
4.1. Internal sources: Mom&Me Care has been built of 4 MBA candidates of CFVG (Centre Franco-Vietnamien de Formation à la Gestion) with various backgrounds:
- Tran Xuan Linh: experienced in Branding and New Product Development; in charge of Marketing and Project Lead.
- Pham Duong Hoai Thanh: experienced in Health and Education Development; in charge of Public Relations and be a Social Network Point of Contact.
- Pham Thi Ngoc Lan: experienced in Administration and Human Resources; in charge of HR and Public Affairs.
- Trinh Khanh Vy: experienced in Project Management; in charge of Operations and Communication.
Mom&Me Care has members with relevant experience and scientific observation during motherhood.
4.2. External sources: Mom&Me Care mobilizes stakeholders’ expertise in different sectors in order to integrate and build up a comprehensive social venture.
4.3. Mom&Me Care website and application.
4.5. Financial: from crowdfunding campaigns.
V. CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP
- Social and mom advocacy.
- Volunteer sales forces.
- SEM, online advertising.
- POSM (at clinic, obstetric hospitals, children hospital, mom and baby shops).
- Open houses, social support facilities.
- SMS messages.
- Application notification.
Current Vietnamese maternal health care system suffers from major serious deficiency: limited knowledge and good practices on reproductive health, limited access to basic healthcare services for low-income and vulnerable population, overloaded governmental healthcare system and language barrier to professional maternal knowledge.
In witness of the above problems, Mom&Me Care is operated to provide an immediate and trusted access point that helps traditional welfare mechanisms fill the knowledge gaps of women and their families during their reproductive age as well as release the overload of governmental sector by re-allocating and navigating health care needs to current and additional resources (private sectors, etc.). Our accessibility to professional knowledges, best practices and services is created mainly through the following channels:
- Digital application channel: where professional healthcare knowledge and best practices for all targeted population are updated and informed to customers for free. This channel is also a platform where we customize and manage inclusive packages (SMILE, HAPPY, AMAZING) provided by our partners from both governmental and private sectors.
- Offline channel: where basic trainings, prenatal screening tests and check-ups, vaccination support are delivered to low-income and vulnerable group of customers as they are not familiar with digital platform.
VII. CUSTOMER SEGMENT
7.1. Market Target Group
Affluent household income level group of 11% with monthly income more than USD1,500 and established level group of 23% with monthly income from USD750-1,500.
Although medical services and its quality have continuously improved, there are still unsatisfied needs of this target group: Governmental healthcare system is extremely overloaded with examination and treatment at central hospitals. Specialists and medical staff could hardly spend time on sufficient consultation to patients. While private healthcare system could do consultation much better, they also charge their services costly. Healthcare consultation is only provided to a limited population, covering mostly treatment and therapies rather than general relating knowledge in prevention and common care practices along pregnancy journey.
7.2. Social Target Group
This project targets all women at reproductive age (30% of Vietnam population) and infant (about more than 1,500,000 born in 2018) because they face the common challenge of the society that: Educational system has lags in reforming and integrating sex education into curriculum of all grades. Graduates from high schools and even colleges are ignorant about reproductive health and most of them rely on traditional healthcare beliefs and practices, given by their families, friends or from unverified online information. When in need, they do not know where and how to access reliable source of healthcare information.
We also target vulnerable population in open houses, orphanages, rural areas and people of minority groups because of the following reasons:
- Donors and international non-profit organisations have been implementing a lot of activities in promoting Vietnamese’s maternal and infant health. This really addressed critical and emergent issues during specific period. But for a longer term development in resilience, Vietnam needs their own system of self support, in case of decreasing international funding. Furthermore, targeted beneficiaries of these activities have been acting passively. They only played roles of receivers, not as a help seeker for their own sakes due to a lack of widely accessible and comprehensible platform updating healthcare knowledge and best practices.
- Inequality exists when current systems still could not reach all target population and there are women in rural areas and minority groups not having medical support during maternity and delivery, as well as newborns and infants do not receive regular checkups and vaccination.
7.3. Social Investors
The social investors are expected to contribute to fundings that help to address social needs of the social target group.
- Application maintenance, salary & wages.
- POSM, Marketing cost.
- Offline training cost, service & equipment costs.
- Vaccination, testing for prenatal.
IX. Revenue Stream
Our revenue streams come from 2 sources: funds from social investors and revenue from market target group.