TeenUp is the pioneering sexuality education startup in Vietnam that empowers teenagers to grow without gender or sex limits. TeenUp’s courses and customized solutions inspire teens to become self-confident, self-aware and willing to impact their community. Our target customers are individual parents (B2C) and agents including schools, education services and interested companies (B2B). TeenUp is the first model in Vietnam that offers comprehensive sexuality education and adopts innovative methods of project-based learning, experience learning and socio-ecological approach. After 3 months of operation, we have earned 9.500 USD and developed a community that co-create social impact with us.
As we run our crowdfunding campaign, we have had our business legally registered as “WeGrow Vietnam Education LLC”.
As a result of TeenUp’s offline crowdfunding campaign, we have delivered 01 TeenUp camp for our “donors” – parents and teenagers at Nguyen Truong To secondary school in Hanoi. We also closed contracts with our business partners to co-ordinate a camp in June and develop an extracurricular curriculum for a private school system. The total value we have raised from the crowdfunding period is 223.506.000 VND, equivalent to 9.577 USD.
All documents of evidence are shown in our email sent to SBC Organizers.
TeenUp is a commercially utilized social mission targeting teenagers and teenagers-to-be as our beneficiaries. Through sexuality education, we aspire to empower teens to grow without limits based on gender and sex. To that end, we offer our packaged courses to individual parents (B2C) while designing and selling solutions to schools and businesses (B2B). Accordingly, the values we offer are not just teens’ development, but social inclusion and business opportunities for partners as well. With our assets of academic, business and volunteer people and our strong network with partners, we are running a profitable mission and looking forward to its huge potentials both on the commercial and social sides.
1. TeenUp’s target customers are teens and beyond
Beneficiaries/ Social Target Group: Our business aims to impact 10 million Vietnamese teenagers and teenagers-to-be. As they reach puberty, teens have to adapt to changes both from the inside (physical + mental) and outside (relationships + social expectations). Teens are growing to become adult, sexual beings, leading to their need to understand about sexuality. In Vietnam, however, most of the young generations are ignorant to sexuality understanding while social stereotypes about sex negatively affects their rights and freedom of choice, causing lack of self-confidence, unsafe sex or harassments. The survey of VOGE in 2018 with 450 teens reveals that over 80% of them suffered some forms of stereotype within their families and schools. Good sexuality education would greatly help teens gain their self-awareness and self-confidence, become ready to deal with internal and external sex issues and live to their full potential.
Customers/ Market Target Group: TeenUp target 02 major market channels – B2C and B2B
- Our B2C customers are parents who wish to empathize with teens and help them develop positively. However, they encounter 03 barriers: lack of appropriate sexuality understanding, generation gap and limited time to connect with teens on gender and sex matters. They would be satisfied with an offering that is affordable, accessible and feasible to bridge these 03 gaps.
- Our B2B customers are schools, education services and interested businesses. They all want to foster teenagers’ comprehensive growth and add value to their brand and business model. Having a good sexuality education solution would benefit them a lot, yet they can hardly develop a solution themselves and there are barely any offering on the market. They need someone competent to partner or co-develop a solution.
2. TeenUp offers strong value to customers and the community
We understand our customers’ needs, their pains and their potential gains. Hence we initiated TeenUp – sexuality education solutions that bring value to all our target customers:
- TeenUp will empower teens to become individuals who are confident, able to grow to their full potential and willing to impact their own community. If we provide teens with the necessary knowledge and skills, then they will be able to gain more self-confidence, deal with gender and sex issues and impact the world through their own projects. We can inspire teens to become social leaders who grow beyond limits, and if so they will make an inspiring change to their community.
- With B2C customers, we offer them sexuality education courses (in the form of short-term camps or long-term classes) together with counselling services and post-course orientation. Parents are reached either directly through the digital marketing channel or through an intermediary such as a school or teacher. By engaging parents, TeenUp would give them a chance to understand and accompany their teens to advocate freedom of choice and social equality.
- With B2B customers, we design customized education solutions. We (1) co-create education programs with them, provide (2) consulting or (3) outsourcing services. Working with the business sector means that we can add value to their business and brand, create large-scale impact and include more of the community in the change-making movement towards sex and gender issues.
3. Innovation is the key in TeenUp’s production of solutions
Combining our resources – passionate educators and qualified education materials, as well as our strategic partnerships with NGOs in gender and development, secondary schools, business education partners and outsourcing partners, we create products and services with the key innovative activities as follow:
- Product/ Service Development: We build our sexuality education solutions based on the comprehensive 3RS curriculum from Advocates For Youth (US). Applying design thinking and validated learning process (Build – Measure – Learn), our courses go to the market with well-researched learning journeys, creative methods (experience learning + project-based learning) and sustainable impact as we engage the community and provide post-course support. What is more innovative, we let customers participate in the product development process, contribute ideas and co-develop the solution to their own problems. The purpose is to transfer knowledge to customers effectively and create long-term bonds with them.
- Go-to-market strategies: We reach parents (B2C customers) through two ways: direct inbound marketing (building knowledge hub, nurturing the online community and running public events to engage target customers) and referrals (using schools, teachers or other influencers as intermediaries). With B2B customers, we mostly go through referrals and networking. We adopt personal selling strategy, empathizing with customers’ stories to deeply understand their problem and adding value by case-by-case consulting or advising.
- Operation: At this stage of development, we manage to keep operation costs at a minimum low (not renting a fixed working space, hiring people mainly based on projects) and optimize logistics (inventory management + reusing and recycling materials).
- Through our 3+ years of research and development, we have come up with 03 outstanding product features in that really set TeenUp’s solutions apart and impact the target customers:
– Experience learning that makes sexuality education topics more interesting, practical and adoptable.
– Project-based learning that helps learners develop critical, system thinking, leadership, communication and other problem-solving skills.
– Socio-ecological approach that promotes community engagement (family, friends, schools, authorities …)
4. TeenUp has the potential to grow commercially
- As a commercially utilized social mission, our revenue stream comes directly from selling our solutions through B2B and B2C channels. B2C customers pay fees to join TeenUp courses, while B2B customers contract and pay for our customized solutions.
- Data from Nielsen (2017) show that the sexuality education market in Vietnam is an emerging yet promising one, with an estimated market value of 200 million USD. Sexuality education courses are not new, yey there are only few players able to offer really competent and satisfying solutions. Through 3 months of operation (March to May) with many trials-errors and validated insights, TeenUp has proven itself as a pioneering and market-fit business:
– B2C: We successfully delivered 01 TeenUp camp as an MVP in May. The camp had 15 customers and recorded 90-95% satisfaction rate in all sessions. It brought us a high net profit margin before tax (35%). We are about to launch a club on self-protection and body autonomy in June, which will run on membership fees as parents and teens enroll and learn together
– B2B: We contract with another education service partner to deliver a camp for 15 customers in June. The turnover for us is high and we estimate our net profit margin before tax amounts to 40%. We also contracted to consult and build the extracurricular curriculum for a huge private school in Vietnam, as well as delivered workshops at several secondary schools, companies and English Language training centers.
- Hoang Dieu Linh – Co-founder, Chief Executive Officer: Co-founder of Vietnam Organization for Gender Equality (VOGE); Korean Government Scholarship Recipient in 2017; 5 years of experience in teaching and studying gender issues
- Nguyen Phuong Tu – Co-founder, Chief Business Development Officer: Co-founder of Vietnam Organization for Gender Equality (VOGE); US Department of State’s Scholarship Recipient at Brown University (YSEALI Academic Fellowship Program); 4 years of experience in teaching and studying gender issues
- Nguyen Thi Tuyet Nhi – Chief Marketing Officer: Ex-Director of Vietnam Organization for Gender Equality (VOGE); 4 years of experience in media and communication promoting gender equality
- Pham Kim Ngoc – Academic Chief Advisor: Ex-Director of Center for Gender, Family and Environment in Development (CGFED), 20 years of research and teaching in Gender in Asia-Pacific
- Dang Huong Giang – Project Manager: Media Manager of Vietnam Organization for Gender Equality (VOGE); Canada SEEDS Scholarship Recipient in 2018; 4 years of experience in teaching and communication on gender issues