Format and eligibility
Organized by HEC Montréal, in Canada, and Yunus Centre – founded by Nobel laureate Prof. Muhammad Yunus – in Bangladesh, Social Business Creation competition is a global competition and innovative pedagogical training platform to learn about social businesses and launch your own social venture.
As well as the rich learning experience, students will get chances to win several prizes in cash, services, and scholarships to participate in SBC program.
The competition is structured as a course which provides experiential learning and uses a gamification approach to enhance students’ learning experience while developing a social business project.
Participants will learn, through an efficient and proven pedagogical strategy, how to:
Use market mechanisms to address social challenges
Leverage on a collective social mindset
Collaborate with various stakeholders
Develop their business idea into a real business
This competition offers a win-win platform that allows for bottom-up development.
The amount of work required from participating students is equivalent to what is required from a 3-credit course. Therefore, universities may integrate this competition into their curriculum and may award participating students with course credits according to their institutional policy.
To be eligible, each team must include at least one university student (at any level, program, and discipline). All members of participating teams must pay their registration fee to access SBC training and make presentations.
All following training activities will be provided to admitted participants:
- Follow HEC Montréal’s online course comprising 4 modules specifically designed for this competition on edulib platform
- Showcase their projects on Social Business Creation website
- Use Social Business Creation competition’s online platform and templates for their activities within the framework of this competition
- Receive HEC Montréal’s participation certificates if they complete at least the first 2 rounds of the competition
- Follow 1-week training at HEC Montréal, Training Week
Specific note to HEC Montréal students:
Scholarships and financial assistance
SBC offers various merit-based scholarships and need-based financial assistance. To apply, participants must complete the section called “Request for financial and other special support” in the application form.